Kansas City MO Attorney at Law
We practice in the areas of personal injury, identity theft law, medical malpractice, class actions and much more. Call 816-589-0753 today!
Need an attorney for identity theft in Kansas City? Perhaps a medical malpractice claim? Ralph K. Phalen, Attorney at Law, specializes in personal injury, identity theft law, medical malpractice, class actions and much more! Our legal team is dedicated to making sure you receive the necessary legal representation you expect and deserve. Whether you were the victim of an auto accident, identity fraud or unfair business practices, contact us today for a personal consultation at 816-589-0753.
At Ralph K. Phalen, Attorney at Law, we are a full service law firm committed to providing customized, personalized services in every case. We will work with you to determine the best course of action that will give you positive results and the best legal support in an efficient manner. From the paperwork to the courtroom, let our experienced professionals take care of it all. We understand how stressful and overwhelming it can be if you are involved in a legal dispute. Trust Attorney Ralph K. Phalen for the legal representation you are entitled to.
About Ralph K. Phalen, Attorney at Law
Ralph Phalen was born in Hays Kansas and attended school in Osborne Kansas. He graduated from Kansas State University in 1977 with a B.S. in Life Sciences and from Kansas University in 1978 with a Medical Technology degree. He worked as a Medical Technologist for 8 years before attending Law School. He graduated in 1989 from the University of Missouri in Kansas City. He was a member of the Law Review and the Urban Lawyer.
Ralph grew up doing farm and construction work and developed a keen sense of the risks the normal working American faces. Additionally after working in a hospital and medical setting for 8 years he became very aware of how easily mistakes can be made in a medical setting despite the best efforts of medical personnel. After working for both defense and plaintiff firms, Ralph established his own firm to do Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice and Consumer Protection work. Ralph currently focuses on class action work representing consumers and working citizens to protect them from corporate and insurance company violations of various laws, statutes and regulations. Ralph works with various law firms locally and across the country to litigate against the largest corporations and insurance companies and their massive resources. Ralph has been involved in leading and participating in class action settlements involving defective products, identity theft, regulatory violations by Insurance companies and regulatory violations by other corporations.
Ralph has been co-lead counsel for a national settlement with manufacturers of water heaters that resulted in a payment of over 80 million dollars to consumers. He has been co-lead counsel in a national identity theft class action, co-lead in antitrust cases, and co-lead or executive committee member in many other national and state class actions. Ralph has been named to Super Lawyers of Missouri, Best of the Bar in Kansas City and was selected “winningest lawyer” for 2010 in Missouri by Missouri Lawyers Weekly Magazine.
SHORT FORM RESUME
I graduated from the Kansas State University in May 1977 with a degree of Bachelor of Science. I received a Medical Technology degree from the University of Kansas in 1978. I received my Juris Doctor degree from the University of Missouri Kansas City in 1989. I am licensed to practice in the State of Missouri and the State of Colorado with the Colorado license inactive. I am admitted to practice before the Western District of Missouri and the District of Kansas. I am a member of the Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys and the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association.
My legal career has included a great variety of matters. Representation has included both defendants and plaintiffs in most types of litigation. I have participated in litigation in a number of states and federal venues, including Florida, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Illinois and Nebraska.
Some of the class action cases in which I had a leadership role are as follows:
1. Heilman, et al., v. Perfection Corp., et al., Case No. 99-0679-CV-W-HFS (W.D. Mo.). This national class action, before the United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri, concerned allegedly defective dip tubes in over 14.2 million hot water tanks sold throughout the United States. I served as Co-Lead Class Counsel to help bring about a national unified settlement. The settlement provided for a 100% recovery of out-of-pocket expenses and requisite repairs, including preventive replacement of all concerned dip tubes, whether or not the dip tubes had actually failed.
2. Bellinder v. Microsoft Case No. 99c-17089. Kansas district court. Co-lead counsel for this anti-trust case with a resulting settlement worth over 32 million for the class distributed to individual class members and schools around the state. This was one of many state anti-trust cases against Microsoft and resulted in one of the very first certified classes that survived appeal and eventually a substantial settlement.
3. LeRose v. Stewart Title. Case No. 03-cv-211568. Circuit Ct. of Jackson Co. Mo. Co-led counsel for a consumer fraud case that resulted in a 100% refund along with 9% interest to class members. The litigation involved improper charges of recording fees where no action had been taken by the defendant. The case involved significant research to identify the violations and resulted in a litigated Class and then Settlement.
4. Smith v. Smart Document Solutions. Case No.-cv-20744. Circuit Court of Jackson Co. Mo. I was Co-lead counsel for a case involving consumer protection statutes and improper tax collection. The case involved unique and original arguments regarding the collection of sales taxes by copying services as well as statutory violations and required litigation with the Mo. Dept. Of Revenue to access refunds for the Class Members. The Settlement resulted in the class claimants receiving 100% refund of overpayments.
5. Lockwood v. Certegy Check Servs., Inc., Case No: 07-cv-1434-T-23TGW (M.D. Fla.). I was appointed one of Co-Lead Settlement Class Counsel in this consolidated proceeding that related to the misappropriation of the private consumer information of in excess of 5 million individuals, after an employee of Certegy Check Services, Inc., accessed and took this information from the company’s computer databases. Final approval of a settlement was granted that provided, and continues to provide, benefits to Settlement Class Members.
6. Doran v. Missouri Dept. of Social Services. Case No. 07-cv-4158 (W.D.Mo.) I was appointed Co-lead Class Counsel for a statewide litigated class for Medicaid and Federal Anti-Lien statute violations. The case was one of first impression in Missouri and we believe, nationally. It involved substantial discovery, motion practice and argument to get the State to stop asserting liens on third party settlements. The settlement resulted in substantial refund of money to Medicaid recipients.
7. Vermiglio v. Group Health Plan. Case No. 4-070cv-00282 (E.D.Mo.) I was appointed Co-Lead Class Counsel for a statewide settlement in a case involving violations by Group Health Plan, an HMO provider of state insurance statutes. The settlement resulted in all claimants receiving 100% of the overcharge as well as being granted Summary Judgment on an issue of first impression regarding the application of the statute to prescription medication.
8. Starbird v. Mercy Health Plan. Case No. 4:07-cv1050 (E.D.M0.) I was appointed Co-Lead Class Counsel for a statewide settlement in a case involving overcharges for HMO members and violations of insurance statutes. This case also involved a Settlement, not only for overcharges of co-pays for regular services but also for prescription medication, a new argument vigorously opposed by Defendant as well as the Mo. Dept. of Insurance.
9. Merriman v. Cabot Corporation et al. Case No. 2003-cv-115 Pratt Co. Kansas. I was appointed Co-Lead Class Counsel for a 7 state settlement for anti-trust violations.
10. Parham v. Blue Ridge Mazda. Case No. 0816-cv01289 Cir. Ct. of Jackson Co. Mo. I was appointed Co-Lead Class Counsel for a litigated, certified class that was upheld on appeal and eventually settled. The case involved the illegal practice of law and consumer fraud allegations and was a case of first impression involving auto dealers and the illegal practice of law.
11. Rizzo and Babich v. Hendrick Automotive Inc. Case No. 08-00137 (W.D.Mo.) I was appointed Co-Lead class counsel in a case with involving the illegal practice of law and consumer fraud violations. This was a litigated class that was certified and upheld on appeal. We also obtained summary judgment and had a damages trial. Prior to the Court ruling on damages, a settlement of 8.8 million dollars was reached allowing 100% recovery for most class members.
12. McIntyre v. Bob Sight Kia. Case No. 0816-cv02997 Cir. Ct. of Jackson Co. Mo. I was appointed Co-Lead Class Counsel for a certified class that resulted in a substantial settlement for the illegal practice of law and consumer fraud violations.
13. Roberts, et al v. The Source for Public Data Case No. 08-04167 (W.D.Mo.) I was appointed Co-Lead Class Counsel for the first case involving the DPPA that resulted in a litigated and certified Class that was upheld on appeal. The case involved the sale, by the Mo. Dept. of Revenue, of personal information in license and driver's license data bases. A third party was buying the information and selling it over the internet. Because the purchasing third party had no resources, the case settled for injunctive relief whereby the Mo. Dept. of Revenue changed their practices to limit access to personal information.
14. Wiles v. Southwestern Bell Telephone Co. Case No. 2:09-cv-04236 (W.D.Mo.) I was appointed Co-Lead Class Counsel in this case involving the violation of the DPPA. The defendant agreed to destroy all personal information it had obtained from the Mo. Dept. of Revenue and to not seek such information again. This is one of very few cases that resulted in a class settlement involving the DPPA.
15. Dycus v. Wells Fargo Case no. 4:11 cv-491 (W.D.Mo.) I was appointed Co-Lead Class Counsel in this case involving violations of the Missouri Second Mortgage Act. We reached a Settlement worth nearly 7 million dollars that returned thousands of dollars to each Class Member. This case was settled just prior to the law being changed in a way that would have eliminated all recovery for the Class.
16. Mary Casey v. Coventry Case No. 08:201 (W.D.Mo) This case involved violations of the Missouri HMO co-pay regulations. We obtained a litigated class certification that was upheld on appeal. The case was ultimately settled just prior to trial after nearly 5 years of litigation.
17. Holling-Fry v. Coventry Health Care Case no. 07-0092 (W.D.Mo). I was appointed Co-Lead Class Counsel in this case involving violations of the Missouri HMO regulations and the application of those regulations to prescription medication. This case was litigated for almost 6 years with extensive discovery, class certification that was upheld on appeal, Summary Judgment briefings and finally Settlement.
18. Welschmeyer v. St. Lukes Health System Case no. 1316-19250 Circuit Court Jackson Co. Mo. I was appointed Co-Lead Class Counsel in this case involving the refusal of hospitals to submit valid health insurance and instead pursuing third party recoveries or medical payments benefits. This case and similar cases were litigated for over 4 years with extensive discovery, appellate rulings and a Settlement valued at over 4 million dollars.\
19. Taylor v. Truman Medical Center Case no. 1316-25362 Circuit Court Jackson Co. Mo.. I was appointed Co-Lead Class Counsel in this case involving the refusal of hospitals to submit valid health insurance and instead pursuing third party recoveries or medical payments benefits. This case resulted in a Settlement valued at over $400,000.00.
20. Layden v. Midwest Division d/b/a/ Research Medical Center Case no. 1316-CV10357 I was appointed Co-Lead Class Counsel in this case involving the refusal of hospitals to submit valid health insurance and instead pursuing third party recoveries of medical payments benefits. This case involved multiple hospitals and resulted in a Settlement valued at approximately $2,100,000.00. The hospitals also agreed to stop the practice and to submit valid health insurance to the appropriate insurance company.
21. Lay v. SSM Health Care St. Louis Case no. 14SL-cc01068. CV10357 I was appointed Co-Lead Class Counsel in this case involving the refusal of hospitals to submit valid health insurance and instead pursuing third party recoveries of medical payments benefits. This case involved multiple hospitals and resulted in a Settlement valued at approximately $2,100,000.00. The hospitals also agreed to stop the practice and to submit valid health insurance to the appropriate insurance company.
22. Shorts v. Midwest Womans Healthcare Specialists LLC Case no. 141-cv-13362. I was appointed Co-Lead Counsel in this case involving the release and disclosure of medical records. The case was settled as a Class Action with a Settlement Fund of $400,000.00. The case involved HIPAA and the question of value of the disclosure of medical records. It was the first of its kind settled as a class action.
I have also been Lead, or Co-Lead for over 20 other Class Actions.